Disclaimer: The following conversation has a lot of potty talk, read at your own discretion.
So there I was fixing dinner and my son was standing at the toilet (a favorite pastime as of late). He'd been there for about ten minutes and I thought he might be finished, so I left the stove and went in the bathroom. "Are you finished?" "No, want to pee some more." So I went back in the kitchen. A couple of minutes later..."Are you done in the bathroom? Do you need some help?" "No, still peeing."
By now the ground beef was browned and it had been close to 15 minutes. "Okay, I think you're done. Time to get down." "PEE. SOME. MORE!" Alright, what can it hurt? I don't want to discourage him from learning to use the bathroom.
Then this dialogue took place after said child was done peeing and was sitting on the toilet. (He doesn't like the little kid potty we have, refuses to sit on it.)
Son: It's working. Looked in toilet. What's that?
Mom: Poop.
A few moments later...
Son: It's working.
Mom: Is it working? Good job! High five!
Son: Mom, try it.
So what do you think? He likes to go to the bathroom. He goes in there on his own, takes off his diaper and does his business. Is he ready to be trained? How would you go about it? In a day, a week, take it slowly, or say it's time for underoos and don't look back? People have told me how hard the potty train stage is, so I don't know what to think.
So there I was fixing dinner and my son was standing at the toilet (a favorite pastime as of late). He'd been there for about ten minutes and I thought he might be finished, so I left the stove and went in the bathroom. "Are you finished?" "No, want to pee some more." So I went back in the kitchen. A couple of minutes later..."Are you done in the bathroom? Do you need some help?" "No, still peeing."
By now the ground beef was browned and it had been close to 15 minutes. "Okay, I think you're done. Time to get down." "PEE. SOME. MORE!" Alright, what can it hurt? I don't want to discourage him from learning to use the bathroom.
Then this dialogue took place after said child was done peeing and was sitting on the toilet. (He doesn't like the little kid potty we have, refuses to sit on it.)
Son: It's working. Looked in toilet. What's that?
Mom: Poop.
A few moments later...
Son: It's working.
Mom: Is it working? Good job! High five!
Son: Mom, try it.
So what do you think? He likes to go to the bathroom. He goes in there on his own, takes off his diaper and does his business. Is he ready to be trained? How would you go about it? In a day, a week, take it slowly, or say it's time for underoos and don't look back? People have told me how hard the potty train stage is, so I don't know what to think.
7 comments:
It's a tough call in some ways, but my gut says to jump in focused for a couple of days, and then hopefully don't look back! I, unfortunately, will never be an expert on this topic, as my four year old will be fine for weeks and then just seems to get lazy and ignores the signs...
I think it is definitely time to do something. I also won't say the best way. I think its different for every kid. And I think it takes some trial and error. And I think a lot of kids relapse some. That is a funny story. Totally sounds like him.
I never attempted to potty train until three but my sister always does her kids at two...he definitely shows the interest....try it, but be prepared to give it up if he clams up...sometimes they do...but, sometimes they don't!
If you can do it, go for it. Let him pick out his undies and don't look back. The quicker you can get him out of diapers, the better. Be prepared for accidents, but if he likes to go, take total advantage! Just my 2 cents.
Gosh, if he is doing all this on his own... definitely go with HIS flow! He seems pretty ready to me! That's awesome! Good luck and let us know! I fear we are very far away from this adventure!
Such a fun stage... sounds like he is ready to try. Go for it! Sticker charts and treats work wonders!! :) Let him pick out his own underwear-- don't pee on superman was very effective in our house!!
Ummm, I sure think he is ready!! That is way cute. I don't know how to go about it though, Charlie just sits on the potty, but won't "go". But I have heard that once you start, don't stop. Let me know what worked for you...we'll need some advice here soon :)
Post a Comment