Thursday, September 1, 2011

2 down, 2275 or so to go (and that doesn't count college, etc.)



My Most Awesome Big Kindergartner,

You are the first one to experience the first day of Kindergarten in our family and you have breezed through the first two days of this big new adventure and I'm so excited for you. When you said to me on the first day that you wished Kindergarten was all day long, I was not expecting you to say that and I was a little sad that you wanted to be away from us longer, but it just means that you are ready to be on your own and you are growing wings. Albeit tiny little nubs for wings, don't even think about trying to go anywhere just yet! There is so much in store for you and if you approach every big change in life with the excitement and maturity you have thus far you will be a happy successful kid! You were very sensitive to the fact that this is going to be different than anything else you have done and the clarity in which you expressed those concerns amazed me. You didn't want to go to bed the night before because you didn't feel ready to go to Kindergarten. I think our little chat and the blessing gave you much needed peace of mind. Some things you expressed were "If I go I'll be lonely without you there." "I don't know if I'll make any friends." "Ethan will be sad and miss me while I'm gone." "I don't know if I'll have fun." "And will we get to have activities and cut things?" Day 2: cut rocket paper with scissors, check. In your words the second day was even better than the first.

I hope you talk to the boy or girl that doesn't want to be friends with anybody or is too scared to be. I hope you are obedient to your teacher and listen to her directions. I hope you are an example to your classmates and do what you know is right. I hope you are confident in your abilities and help others as they try to catch up to you. I don't know how you did it, but teaching yourself to read has been so fun to watch. You are opening up a world of magic and wonder when you learn to read. I hope you know that if you ever have a question or concern or if something is too hard to figure out on your own that Mom and Dad are just a moment away. And if we aren't able to help you at that instant, your Father in Heaven is even closer than that, just a breath away.

You are a handsome, wonderful, intelligent, lovable, playful guy and your little brothers learn a lot from you as their Most Awesome Big Brother!


I Love You so very much!

Your Fan, (big squeeze)

Mom

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Made tears come to my eyes. You are an exceptional mother, and Xander is the most "ready" new Kindergartner I've ever met. Glad his school is so close to his house too. Love you guys!

Yomama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yomama said...

This legitimately made me weep. Amazing how many of the same things are still worries for me even though I'm a "big kid".
Thanks Shan. I'm thrilled to be so close to you, and that you are always willing to help me.
MelNaie

Yomama said...

I can hardly see to write, and I'm sure you know why... Such a beautiful, sweet, loving way to share all those tender feelings. Thank you, Shan. For so many things, but today for helping that Most Awesome Big Brother (where DID you get such a perfect shirt??) be the ready child that he is.
Wow, do I love you all!
Yomama

D/E G said...

Sweetest little note! I wish I had thoughts like that written out to my kiddos as they ventured out. Thanks for sharing! :)